Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Watch Where You're BAM!

As Owen has gotten older and more independent, we're hearing things like, "I do it myself!" Zip up his own hoodie or pajamas. I don't blame him on the pajamas though, the wife put him in his pajamas once without underpants and nipped lil' Owen because she's a girl and never had to worry about zipping injuries. I was the favorite for quite a while after that.

He wants to get his own juice. Take his plate over to the counter. He wants to walk instead of ride in the cart at the store. The problem with the store is that he LOVES looking at everything except where he's going. This usually results in him starting to veer off to one side or the other, finally turning to look where Daddy went and getting back on course. It often results in a chuckle for Daddy because he'll turn back just in time to be startled by a display or some other inanimate object about to viciously run into him.

We were at Target this afternoon and he was awfully tired. No nap, an hour running around at the Mall Playground. His focus was even more off than normal as he wanted to stop and look at everything. We were finally ready to leave and headed to the front to check out, going through the clothing side of the store. I turned around to get his attention and motivate him to stay with me and try to get out of there.

He was staring over his right shoulder at some kids clothes for some reason. It's not like he wants to wear clothes, he loves him some quality nekkid time. I could see he was drifting straight toward a big rack with shelves at different levels. I said his name to try to get his attention, but he ignored me. Lesson 1: Always listen to Daddy. I said, "Owen" again, this time with a little more urgency as he was about 4 steps from the rack. Lesson 2: When Daddy uses his pay attention voice, you should definitely listen.

Finally, about 2 steps from the rack, I started to give him the quick, loud, authoritative "OWEN!" The O was barely out of my mouth when he realized something was approaching in his peripheral vision. He pulled his head around in time to take a shelf right in the mouth, falling over on his butt stunned. Lesson 3: If you fail to listen to Daddy and walk into something, Daddy will laugh at you.

He was tired, he was slightly injured in the pride department, and he decided that crying was the best option. Have no fear, it only took him about 10 seconds to want to be put back down and walk himself. I'd like to say he learned from his mistake, but as we walked out of the store, my boy was staring over his shoulder behind him.

CK

No comments:

Post a Comment